 Off-Topic / Debate / 21704
  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) Well in this case "personal responsibility" falls on the person that breaks into someone elses home and winds up dead for it. The fact that the person was killed by the homeowner (who in my view is only defending their lives from the (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) That's where I believe you're making an unsubstantiated leap. Even within the bounds of this discussion, you appear unwilling to consider any response other than "kill the intruder/it's his own fault" when other options truly are available to (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler wrote: <snip> (...) :) Laugh out loud. In the end, I really do appreciate you guys. You give me much to think about and wrestle with. Keep up the astounding debates. <snip> (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) Actually I did here: (URL) (...) Ok now I think I am starting to see where you guys are coming from. I realize I may have come off a little "hard set" too. I would not be shooting at noises, as most of your example seem to suggest. I would (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) I think the real difference lies in what you and I identify to constitute an immediate threat to oneself and one's family. It seems that you equate the act of breaking-in with the intent to inflict bodily harm, whereas I distinguish between (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) As the child is under her care and if through her ill-advised actions she gets shot in self defence, I would say that the fault lies with her. -Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) Okay, but let's extend it a little further. Suppose we went with variation #3 from my previous post: 3. The "intruder" is your daughter who has sneaked down to the kitchen for a glass of water during the night If you killed your daughter in (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!

(...) Ok I must restate that I do not shoot at noises. In fact more than likely I wouldn't shoot at all I'd simply knock the intruder out. But anyway... (...) Yeah that would be your own dumb fault. I would agree with the involuntary manslaughter (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)