 Off-Topic / Debate / 21584
21583  |  21585
Subject:
Who is going to take the fall?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:58:29 GMT

Let's place some bets--

I say it's Cheney:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/15/nyt.16words/index.html

"
What troubles me is not that single episode, but the broader pattern of
dishonesty and delusion that helped get us into the Iraq mess -- and that
created the false expectations undermining our occupation today. Some in the
administration are trying to make George Tenet the scapegoat for the affair. But
Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity, a group of retired spooks, issued
an open letter to President Bush yesterday reflecting the view of many in the
intel community that the central culprit is Vice President Dick Cheney. The open
letter called for Mr. Cheney's resignation.
"

Though the real 'mastermind' (if such a word can be applied to him) is Dubya
himself, but he was smart enuf to insulate himself by 'polispeak'--"Those
British intelligence folks say this..." or "The CIA said that..."

So, as some people are stating outright, the buck doesn't stop at the presidents
desk, it stops somewhere else and Dubya will come out of this unscathed.

Further down--

"
Intelligence isn't just being dumbed down, but is also being manipulated -- and
it's continuing. Experts say the recent firefight on the Syrian-Iraq border
involved not Saddam Hussein or a family member, as we were led to believe, but
just some Iraqi petroleum smugglers. Moreover, Patrick Lang, a former senior
D.I.A. official, says that many in the government believe that incursion was an
effort by ideologues to disrupt cooperation between the U.S. and Syria.
"

So the obfuscation and outright lying continues.  Well, once you start digging
the hole, you might as well continue right on digging, eh Dubya?  If it worked
once... heck, if it worked for the last 3 years, why won't the same trick work
today?

As someone said, the honeymoon may finally be over. Journalists may return to
asking the right questions instead of the safe questions.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/15/bush.intelligence.ap/index.html

"
Bush said the United States was reviewing documents and interviewing Iraqis in
an intensive effort to support the still unproven claim that Saddam had
forbidden weapons.

The embarrassing episode about questionable intelligence forced the
administration to concede it did not know the source of the British claims --
and, in fact, was not trying to determine the source.

"We don't know if it's true but nobody -- but nobody -- can say it was wrong,"
White House press secretary Ari Fleischer said. "That is not known."
"

"We don't know if its true"??  Y'all went to war on something that you didn't
know was true??

"
Defending his administration, Bush said, "I think the intelligence I get is darn
good intelligence. And the speeches I have given were backed by good
intelligence.
"

Good intelligence?  When you don't know who said it *or* if it's the truth?  And
you're not even trying to determine who said it?

And this is in the same article.  Does it appear to anyone else that they're
talking out of both sides of their mouth?  "It's good intelligence!" "We don't
know if it's true or even who said it."

Beyond that, y'all didn't give the UN inspectors this much time to investigate
the matter, and you're all hell-bent on finding something and so far nothing.
Let me point that out again, NOTHING!

And of course, guess who's paying for this mess?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/15/deficit.ap/index.html

"
WASHINGTON (AP) -- New Bush administration projections of record federal
deficits surpassing $400 billion seem understated, Democrats say, because they
will probably exclude the future U.S. operations in Iraq and other long-range
costs.
"

One of you Yanks got it right--

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/07/15/offbeat.agenda.cards.ap/index.html

"
Kathy Eder's 55 cards show pictures of the president, Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld and others along with quotes, mostly from journalists, questioning the
rationale for the U.S.-led war. The backs of the cards feature a 1983 photograph
of Rumsfeld shaking Hussein's hand.
"

As an aside, is it me or are the media outlets suddenly off the 'Bush is great'
bandwagon and are now reporting things closer to the non-partisan center.  I
mean, it's been a long while since CNN.com had anything bad to say about Dubya,
et al.

But that's just something I noticed.

The bottom line is you guys have to get this lying, macho-swaggering, draft
dodging, murdering moron out of office.

Dave K