 Off-Topic / Debate / 21374
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:29:18 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   Guys like Shrub would nuke people in the U.S. if such a preemptive strike where necessary to maintain political power -- and I don’t really mean Shrub, I mean the guys standing all around him and even more particularly the ones standing in the shadows (the ones whose names are barely known and only whispered even when they are known).

   Well, I happen to see humanity as bigger than that.

Humanity, yes. Most people are good and kind and honest and want only to live their lives unmolested, living by the golden rule or by the wiccan rule or by libertarian principles (even if they can’t articulate any of them clearly, that’s still what they want, precisely *because* they are good and kind and honest).

Yes. most of humanity IS bigger than that, bigger than those in the shadows.

But not our leaders... power corrupts and as the power of the federal government has grown and grown and grown, unchecked, it has attracted some sorts of people that don’t fit that description, people who aren’t nice and good and kind and honest.

People who think they’re helping by taking away from the productive and giving to the non productive, People who, misguidedly, want to impose their morality on others. People who seek power for its own sake. And worst of all, people who seek aggrandizement and who want to make easy money and who know how to use the first few sorts for those purposes.

   You can’t debate with someone who can’t or doesn’t want to understand

(snipped a word there for dramatic effect)

Precisely, David. We’ve tried and tried to explain it, to no avail, and you can’t or don’t want to understand.

   Therefore I’m done.

No you’re not. You’ll be back. We all will, it’s our secret vice.

   Dave K