 Off-Topic / Debate / 21331
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:34:28 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:
Thanks, but no thanks.  In the end, I'd end up paying for your injuries in one way
or another.  I'd rather you be forced to wear a helmet, at least until proper laws
are put in place to keep anyone at all from suing over your injuries.

I'm inclined to say "at least until proper laws are put in place to keep
anyone at all from suing over your injuries" should be replaced with "at
least until proper laws are put in place to appropriately distribute
liability"

Why? Well, by your logic, I could argue we should have laws requiring
pedestrians to wear helmets also. Clearly a helmet would reduce some
pedestrian injuries from simply tripping and falling. Also, clearly, a
helmet would reduce some injuries from being hit by a car. Based on
this, should we prevent "anyone at all from suing" an irresponsible
driver who hits a motorcyclist or pedestrian? Should we require all car
drivers to wear helmets and 4 point harnesses? Should we require all
cars to have all the safety systems a race car is required to have?

Frank