 Off-Topic / Debate / 21330
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:11:39 GMT

richard marchetti wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
Could you clarify what "common law" is?

The term is perhaps a little "overloaded" with history, but in a criminal law
context it basically means laws against theft, rape, and murder (and all of the
usual lesser versions of those kinds of crimes).

The parental role of the government isn’t necessarily bad.

True, but that has nothing to do with my civil liberties or the greater concept
of freedom.  I absolutely demand the right to do things that might be expensive,
harmful, stupid, etc. as a matter of right.

If I choose to ride a motorcycle without a helmet that is my business.  Just as
it is my business when I crack my head like an egg against the pavement.

My rights.  My death.  My way.

That would be all fine and good if we had laws that forced you to take
responsibility.  Our justice system seems to do the opposite.

Even if you didn't sue after cracking your head open, your family might.  And they'd
probably sue everyone in sight, finding some crackpot doctor that would say that
wearing a helmet would not have lessened your HEAD injury at all.

Thanks, but no thanks.  In the end, I'd end up paying for your injuries in one way
or another.  I'd rather you be forced to wear a helmet, at least until proper laws
are put in place to keep anyone at all from suing over your injuries.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/