 Off-Topic / Debate / 21264
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:18:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
   Having said all that... The mere fact that I can break the law means I run my life. The fact I choose not to do so means I run my life in a socially acceptable fashion and thus can expect respectful treatment from my peers.

I guess when it gets to the details, there’s the rub: “socially acceptable.” There’s a lot of stuff that gets wrap up with that that itself has nothing to do with whether one obeys the laws or not.

In the U.S., it used to be thought that one had the right “to be left alone.” It was sufficient, in theory, that if one was complying with the basics of the common law that one was otherwise free to do whatever.

Could you clarify what “common law” is? Especially if it is a deliberately vague concept or not.

   Then comes the idea of regulation.

Like when I ride my motorcycle it is now part of the California Vehicle Code that I must also wear a helmet. Leaving the question of whether that’s a good idea or not to the side, I now have the freedom to not wear the helmet only if I also allow that I may have to submit to paying a possible fine for not wearing the helmet. That’s not exactly freedom as I envision it.

Government has long since adopted a parental role in the governance of its citizens. And spreading the cost of things amongst a group has long since taken hold of our legislators.

Well, it could be the case that the government is actually regulating with the intent of saving your money. They can argue that you’ll probably have to spend less in the helmet than you’d have to if you required head injury treatment after an unfortunate accident. And if you think, “yeah, but I don’t care if I have to spend that money, I want my hair in the wind!”, they can contrapose that you’d be representing an economic liability for all those using the road in which you had the accident.

The parental role of the government isn’t necessarily bad.

   Somebody was recently commenting that one might have to pay a utility “tax” for the “non-use” of the electrical utility in the event that one had the means to generate one’s own electricity. Ridiculous, of course! And again, not exactly freedom as I envision it.

Hey, I’ll go with you all the way in this! I read about it in the paper, and frankly, that just seems absurd after the summer 2000.

   Where will it end?

When it is convenient for all parties involved? A balance is reached more often than not in what concerns the relation between government and governed.

   The Declaration of Independence specifies the the grievances of the colonists against their king, it states: “He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our People, and eat out their substance.”

:-) I can read it in a different way, if I highlight some parts: “He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our People, and eat out their substance.” I apologize in advance for the cinicism, but it may well be the case the folks who wrote this were just upset they had not been given their piece of the cake... after all, George Washington did fight for Britain in the French and Indian War, did he not?

   I’ll be keeping my guns, thanks. Both as a means to defend my own rights and as a moral duty to my neighbors.

Fine. Just please don’t shoot me if we meet! :-)

Pedro