 Off-Topic / Debate / 21258
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:47:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:
   Having said all that... The mere fact that I can break the law means I run my life. The fact I choose not to do so means I run my life in a socially acceptable fashion and thus can expect respectful treatment from my peers.

I guess when it gets to the details, there’s the rub: “socially acceptable.” There’s a lot of stuff that gets wrap up with that that itself has nothing to do with whether one obeys the laws or not.

In the U.S., it used to be thought that one had the right “to be left alone.” It was sufficient, in theory, that if one was complying with the basics of the common law that one was otherwise free to do whatever.

Then comes the idea of regulation.

Like when I ride my motorcycle it is now part of the California Vehicle Code that I must also wear a helmet. Leaving the question of whether that’s a good idea or not to the side, I now have the freedom to not wear the helmet only if I also allow that I may have to submit to paying a possible fine for not wearing the helmet. That’s not exactly freedom as I envision it.

Government has long since adopted a parental role in the governance of its citizens. And spreading the cost of things amongst a group has long since taken hold of our legislators.

Somebody was recently commenting that one might have to pay a utility “tax” for the “non-use” of the electrical utility in the event that one had the means to generate one’s own electricity. Ridiculous, of course! And again, not exactly freedom as I envision it.

Where will it end?

The Declaration of Independence specifies the the grievances of the colonists against their king, it states: “He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our People, and eat out their substance.”

I’ll be keeping my guns, thanks. Both as a means to defend my own rights and as a moral duty to my neighbors.

-- Hop-Frog