 Off-Topic / Debate / 21257
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:30:02 GMT

   Snipped for dramatic effect.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva wrote:

   suppose I get stopped in Road Control...

   the government does not run my life...

What an interesting juxtaposition.

I don’t have a chip in my brain telling me I must stop. Ergo, I run my life.

Then again, and very conveniently, I don’t have a problem with the concepts of Law nor Law making: my perception is that the society I’m part of writes a code of conduct through folks that are mandated to do so, and can change that code when/if other sensibilities ocurr. The entity called “government” is just a coordinator that will make living in community a much easier task.

Having said all that... The mere fact that I can break the law means I run my life. The fact I choose not to do so means I run my life in a socially acceptable fashion and thus can expect respectful treatment from my peers.

Pedro