 Off-Topic / Debate / 21055
Re: Matrix2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:26:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Keith Goldman wrote:
   I havn’t been this dissapointed in a movie since the phantom menace, highlander2 or perhaps escape from L.A. (a true cinematic atrocity)

Eeek! Holy Sequel-itous, Batman!

What were you thinking? That “The Matrix Reloaded” (a.k.a “The Superman Thing”) was going to be deep and philosophical, or the fight scenes interesting? The problem of the first film is its actual success.

In the first film we watch as everyone’s pal Neo learns the “crack” in reality (as Leonard Cohen said: “There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in”). Once Neo has learned the crack, and literally sees that his “real” environment is so much code dolled up as a pacifier reality, it is singularly disappointing to watch him fight anyone -- esp. agents. In the first movie, the bullets fall to the ground. Wait! There’s one hanging in the air. Let’s look at it. Cool. Almost had me fooled there for a moment.

Do people really find it challenging to go back and resolve puzzles they have already solved?

So, The Superman Thing is what comic-book geeks think is fun for a viewer -- to see the puzzle get solved again. Save the White Maiden. Let Zion burn.

Maybe number three will give us the saving of Zion when Superman flies around the world and turns back time to a moment when/where he could still save the fair city and still get to press pelvis with Lois Lane, er -- Trinity!

Maybe Zion doesn’t even exist -- it’s just another layer of the matrix. Oh, tingles...“reality” as layers of an onion. “Take the skin and peel it back, doesn’t it make you feel better?”

I thought the Animatrix was much better to be honest. Although again, once the thing is solved, it stays solved. I guess I just liked the way the same idea could be developed in different styles by different people. “Final Flight Of the Osiris,” “Program,” “A Detective Story,” and “Matriculated” were great if very straight-forward pieces. “Final Flight Of the Osiris” is excellent in terms of how realistic 3D rendering and animation is becoming. “A Detective Story” reminded me of the pc game “Gadget.” I wanted to like “Matriculated” but its no Aeon Flux from Peter Chung this time. “The Second Renaissance” gives you a little more background to the Matrix universe (I admit to being more intrigued by the goddess-like narrator here). “The Second Renaissance” has a moment of almost shocking violence, so it may not be for the very young or overly sensitive -- hey, even I winced at it! “World Record” felt like a thematic remake of the “The Running Man” from “Neo-Tokyo.” I think my favorite was “Beyond” -- worked on a lot of levels and very Japanese. “Beyond” sets the new standard for excellence in animation -- more beautiful than anything else, like a slice of life from another reality.

-- Hop-Frog