 Off-Topic / Debate / 21068
Re: Matrix2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Keith Goldman wrote:
   I havn’t been this dissapointed in a movie since the phantom menace, highlander2 or perhaps escape from L.A. (a true cinematic atrocity)

Eeek! Holy Sequel-itous, Batman!

What were you thinking? That “The Matrix Reloaded” (a.k.a “The Superman Thing”) was going to be deep and philosophical, or the fight scenes interesting? The problem of the first film is its actual success.

No, I didnt expect it to be deep or philosophical, but neither did I expect to check my watch during the ubiquitous 20 minute car chase. A car chase? It was like they were not even trying. Because I had heard that the bros W had maintained complete editorial control, I expected it to be good. Not great, but at least good. I completely agree that M1’s success was problematic. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t think a sequel was necessary. Not everything needs to be spelled out. My mental image of Zion was far superior to the tribal-rave-cave. Apparently only the young, good looking and physically fit were saved. Sounds a bit fascist...

   In the first film we watch as everyone’s pal Neo learns the “crack” in reality (as Leonard Cohen said: “There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in”). Once Neo has learned the crack, and literally sees that his “real” environment is so much code dolled up as a pacifier reality, it is singularly disappointing to watch him fight anyone -- esp. agents.

I think the writers were on the ‘crack’

   I thought the Animatrix was much better to be honest.

I saw Final Flight of the Osiris before Dreamcatcher. The animation was damn impressive, but it was just a short. I believe you when you say that the collection is better than Matrix2, but I’m not going to shell out any more money on the franchise. No doubt there will be more tie-ins for the final film. I can see it now... to understand the entire plot, you will be required to watch a series of commercials on television.

-Keith