 Off-Topic / Debate / 20966
Re: Interesting idea...?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 16:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
"Free State Project"
http://www.freestateproject.org/

The Free State Project is a plan in which 20,000 or more liberty- oriented
people will move to a single state of the U.S., where they may work within
the political system to reduce the size and scope of government. The success
of the Free State Project would likely entail reductions in burdensome
taxation and regulation, reforms in state and local law, an end to federal
mandates, and a restoration of constitutional federalism, demonstrating the
benefits of liberty to the rest of the nation and the world.

[edit: has Lar never mentioned this before, or did I miss it?]

  I've never seen it discussed here, but the excellent radio program This
American Life ran a story on it recently:

http://www.thislife.org/ra/237.ram

If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.thislife.org/ and look for the
episode titled "Regime Change" from 4/18/03.

Critics sometimes look down on NPR and its children as "too liberal," but this
report showed a more positive handling of the I'll-Take-Vermont project than I
would have.  One good thing--most of the Libertarians interviewed generally
didn't sound like the far-out nuts who often make the news, such as

Stan Jones
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/02/offbeat.blue.candidate/index.html

Gary Copeland

Julian Heicklen
http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2001/09/09-11-01tdc/09-11-01dops-letter-4.asp

and of course Harry Browne
http://www.realchange.org/browne.htm

Instead, the ones who were interviewed seemed like genuinely concerned folks who
see this plan as a legitimate and feasible means of putting Libertarianism
principals on the political map.

In the end, I found the expressed views to depend too much on anecdotal
experience and selective reasoning, but YMMV.

It's a neat idea, in principle, and it's almost exactly what I've previously
recommended re: "make your own nation/State and make it Libertarian."  It would
be an interesting experiment.

     Dave!