 Off-Topic / Debate / 2066
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 18:53:06 GMT

Jeremy,

But don't you ever ask *why*?!?  Jeez, what, are you happy with those
numbers?

I don't look into race numbers and statistics too much, because a good deal of
people look at it way too much, IMHO. I don't care what the numbers are,
frankly, like I said before, I don't care what race or color, etc. you are, if
you do a crime, and you are convicted of it, you should be aware of the
consequences. If there are disparities within the sentencing guidelines, there
should not be. I can't help either, but it should be dealt with. Equal
punishment, regardless of race. I am not happy with disparages in punishment,
lowering of standards simply because of race, sex, etc. That is what I am
talking about.

snipped history lesson of Kwajalein Atoll>

So when you wave your American flag and cheer the great nation you live in
and happily file your income taxes, you may consider what has been done by
your country, and what may happen yet.

I never am happy with filing my income taxes, thank you very much! Have I ever
said the US is perfect? This is a good example of it doing stupid things. These
kind of issues need to dealt with, but I had no control of this, and I would
never do such a thing myself, I wish I could do a great deal of things that the
US did differently, but I cannot. Learn from history, don't dwell on it forever
and ruin your life, and make strides to make sure it does not happen again.
Regardless of these and other examples (The discussion could last forever),
however, it is still better to live here than, say, China.

Oh, BTW, what can happen now, since you brought it up, dare I ask?

Cheers,

Indeed.

- jsproat

Web References:
  http://www.bikiniatoll.com/
  http://www.rmiembassyus.org/ (with bibliography)
  http://tis-nt.eh.doe.gov/ihp/marsh/marshall.htm

U.S. Gumm'it Papers References:
  U.S. Public Law # 94-34
  U.S. Public Law # 99-239
  U.S. Public Law # 97-257
  U.S. Public Law # 100-446
  The Compact of Free Association

Thanks for the references. I shall look them up, as time permits.
--
Scott E. Sanburn
CADD Operator, CADD Systems Administrator

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/index.html
Lego Page:
http://www.geocities.com/~legoguy712/legoindex.html

“The more people I meet, the more I like my Lego collection.”