 Off-Topic / Debate / 2067
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:09:09 GMT

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:
But don't you ever ask *why*?!?  Jeez, what, are you happy with those
numbers?
I don't look into race numbers and statistics too much, because a good deal of
people look at it way too much, IMHO.

Ignorace is a *good* platform from which to argue.  You'll never lose ground
from there.

I am not happy with disparages in punishment,
lowering of standards simply because of race, sex, etc. That is what I am
talking about.

Ah, but the topic was not in changing punishment, but rather the startling
disparagy in the demographics of execution.

If I were more cynical, I might suggest that the average executioner in the
U.S. is a white male, between the age of 25 and 50, who has spent a
considerable abount of his life in Texas.  (1)  But I haven't dredged up the
data for this; it's just chum for trolling.

snipped history lesson of Kwajalein Atoll>
So when you wave your American flag and cheer the great nation you live in
and happily file your income taxes, you may consider what has been done by
your country, and what may happen yet.
I never am happy with filing my income taxes, thank you very much!

Oops, my bad.  I forgot.  But please, continue.

These
kind of issues need to dealt with, but I had no control of this, and I would
never do such a thing myself, I wish I could do a great deal of things that the
US did differently, but I cannot.

Yes you can.  Politics, among other things, is about people trying to make a
difference.

Learn from history, don't dwell on it forever
and ruin your life, and make strides to make sure it does not happen again.
[...]
Oh, BTW, what can happen now, since you brought it up, dare I ask?

Oh, not much really, except my chance of dying early from leukemia and / or
thyroid cancer is significantly higher.  I watched my (lesse) mother's
sister's father-in-law die slowly and painfully from a blood disease because
he lived in southern Utah during the nuclear testing in the 1940s and 1950s.

But with regards to the Marshall Islands?  They'll continue to fester, thank
you very much.  I can try to get my friends there to move away from their
homeland, but I doubt that'll help them feel any better.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  I *LIKE* Texas.  But what's with all the executions?