 Off-Topic / Debate / 2055
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:06:44 GMT

  Whats wrong with you?  You seem to understand that the church does steal
from those who belong to it (by choice, even), and you object about that.
But you don't understand that governments do the exact same thing (some
times in conjunction with one church or another) and have no objection to
that whatsoever?  In fact you support that theft, but get upset about it
when a church does it.  Any church or government uses the same ethic (give
us your money which we can use to help those who (supposedly) need it better
than you can) to steal your money.  Why do you object to one and not the
other?

   I am sure most of the people you are currently arguing with would totally
agree with your following paragrpah, while those who have supported you thus
far, will be arguing with you now...

No. Theft is at the core of Christian beliefs. For starters the prohibition
of ursury (that is, allowing market forces to set interest rates), the
various requirements to be your brothers keeper (the church sanctions the
theft of your property to support your brother). And don't start me on
tithing, especially as traditionally done by the church when it is very
much extortion. That's just some easy ones off the top of my head.

   Now, tell me the difference between tithing and taxing.  And, now,
doesn't the government regulate interest rates?  It does in my country.
Isn't being taxed to take care of your society the same as being your
brothers' keeper?
   And, from another post of yours, name a country which at one time or
another hasn't disallowed genocide, in some form?  Maybe your arguments make
sense, but not to me.

--
   Have fun!
   John