 Off-Topic / Debate / 2077
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 01:51:18 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

  Whats wrong with you?  You seem to understand that the church does steal
from those who belong to it (by choice, even), and you object about that.

How can you call a gift stealing?

But you don't understand that governments do the exact same thing (some
times in conjunction with one church or another) and have no objection to
that whatsoever?  In fact you support that theft, but get upset about it
when a church does it.  Any church or government uses the same ethic (give
us your money which we can use to help those who (supposedly) need it better
than you can) to steal your money.  Why do you object to one and not the
other?

They are different.  Churches collect money *voluntarily* to assist those in
need.  The gov collects money whether you like it or not.  If I don't
contribute to the offering plate, so what?  If I don't contribute to the IRS,
they (gov) use force to take it from me.  So how are these two scenarios "the
exact same thing"?

-John