 Off-Topic / Debate / 2044
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 07:28:54 GMT

I've had to largely pull out of this debate for a couple of
weeks owing to quite a bit of urgent work from my
publishers suddenly turning up - so I've currently got
very little time to post. But even so, I couldn't let this pass
without comment...

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

1 - Different spheres. However, someone with a world view that's "wrong"
has to prove themselves to be reliable to me before I trust them(2). All
my factorees have. And even if I am wrong about them I can still make
the buyers right anyway, if I had to. Not that it would come to that.

2 - recall that I have said in the past that people with flawed morals
are people that I don't implicitly trust because they have come out and
said things like "it's OK to take from the rich and give to the poor" so
that makes me wonder, since I'm "rich" (-er than them, anyway), whether
they are going to take from ME by not completing a deal... their morals
seem say it's OK. So I tend to be suspicious till I build up some
experience.

As one of your factorees :) and so I assume one of the people you
are talking about
I rather resent the implication that my political views could have any
bearing on how trustworthy I might be in any trading.

I think that when you're trading on the Internet, you've got very little
protection against someone who isn't honest in their dealings. And
because of that it's quite reasonable to be wary of anyone you've
not dealt with until you've had enough experience to build up some
trust. But to try and link trust to political views in the way you
just have sucks.

In my personal life,
I know people who are have left wing politics and
people who have right wing politics. I know people that I would
trust a lot and a much smaller number of people that I wouldn't trust very
much in certain spheres. I've never noticed any correlation between
how reliable or trustworthy someone is and how they claim to vote
in elections.

World views are *opinions*. You think I'm wrong in that area?
Well I (probably just as strongly)
believe you're wrong too.  But I see you as a good, reliable,
trading partner,
and I don't see any reason to bring politics into that. It
wouldn't even cross my mind to think, 'Ah, Larry disagrees
with me on these issues. Better be wary of him when I'm trading'

Anyway what makes you so certain you are richer than me? <grin>
You've not yet had the misfortune to be bidding against me in an
auction for a set that I've *really* wanted. :) [1]
You don't have to be poor to believe that society works best when
the Government does some wealth redistribution.

I find your statement that

"that makes me wonder, since I'm "rich" (-er than them, anyway),
whether they are going to take from ME by not completing a deal"

quite ironic given thay my own views in politics imply that I personally,
given my current financial status, should be paying more tax. I'm
rather proud of the fact that I base my politics on what I perceive to
be what's best for the community rather than on
my own personal short term financial interests. And I'd like to think
the fact that I'm prepared to do so, rather than simply say 'what's
going to get *me* the most money' when I decide on how to vote[2],
says something quite positive about my character.

[1] And I seem to be in the fortunate position of being a train person
who doesn't see anything particularly great about the metroliner.

[2] not trying to accuse anyone on lugnet of that - I'm thinking more that
there are people I've known personally in the past who tend to do that.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com