 Off-Topic / Debate / 20318
Re: "I speak better English than this villain Bush"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:07:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
I will give you some hints:

- He is a Republican

- The actions of his administration did much to divide this nation

- He was characterized by the media as a bumbling fool

If you guessed Gerald Ford, you were absolutely correct, After Spiro Agnew
stepped down as Vice President, Gerald Ford was selected and appointed as
the new VP. Then with Richard Nixon’s resignation Ford became president
after never having been on a national ballot, and his pardon of Nixon
enraged many in this country.

He was more portrayed as an uncoordinated klutz than a bumbling fool by the
media (you needed to be in a bunker when he was playing golf, for example).
I believe it was LBJ that saddled him with the infamous tag line of : "He
can't walk and chew gum at the same time."  Though he was elected to the
presidential succession as vice-president by the peoples' representatives,
it was not directly by the people itself (or even through the intermediary
of the Electoral College) so I would probably agree with you and call that
an appointment.

Did you guess George W. Bush? If so, let me help clear you up on a common
misunderstanding. Very truncated version of the 2000 national elections

* Nationwide electronic count #1 - Bush wins

No, Bush lost!  Perhaps you mean Bush wins the Electoral College.

* Florida statewide electronic recount – Bush wins

After much legal manuevering that was ultimately decided by a Daddy's court
appointee.

* Hand recount in three select counties that were close – Bush wins
* More extensive hand recount in those same three counties – Unknown because
luckily the secretary of state finally stepped in and ended the insanity,
Florida supreme court tried to stop her from doing her job, but again
luckily the US supreme court told the Florida state court that they had no
right to do that.

Five states right's advocates determine that a state court can't determine
it's own state's policy.  There's a certain inconsistency to that that
speaks of a political decision, not a legal one (i.e. they appointed Bush
president).

* News media pours over these now infamous ballots and their hanging chads –
Bush still wins

It didn't matter because he had already been appointed by the Supreme Court.
Pity he didn't want to trust to accuracy and went the appointment route.

Apologies to all who really wanted AlGore to win, but there never was a
scenario where that might happen, even if these unprecedented county
recounts were allowed to continue. Time to move on.

Well, there is a scenario, but it involves Jeb not systematically trying to
disenfranchise as many voters as possible that he thought would be democrats.

-->Bruce<--