 Off-Topic / Debate / 20068
  Re: My Concession (for John mostly)

(...) You asserted that "[japan's intentions] were that the war was going to continue to the absolute bitter end". What has that to do with US obligation to pause? (...) This may be your opinion, but again has nothing to do with your original (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Concession (for John mostly)

(...) They didn't accept the call for unconditional surrender, war was continuing. I'm not sure why you aren't getting it, and I'm kinda tired of having to repeat it. (...) Go back to what Dave wrote: "recent evidence suggests that the Emperor was (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Concession (for John mostly)

(...) Yes, now that I was reminded that this debate was discussed earlier, and that there will probably be no 'official' consensus as to what Truman knew, we can only go by official accounts--Truman didn't know exactly what the emporer said or (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Concession (for John mostly)

(...) Let me again state your assertion: "we had no way to know what Japan intended beyond its action (which were that the war was going to continue to the absolute bitter end)." 1. We knew *at least* that Hirohito had proposed a peace deal (albeit (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My Concession (for John mostly)

(...) *IN RELATION* to what Dave said!!! "Recent evidence suggests that the Emperor was about to surrender." You keep taking it out of context and trying to assert your own argument in there. (...) "...about to surrender"??? Nope. (...) "...about to (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)