 Off-Topic / Debate / 19862
Re: If I were a conspiracy nut...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:14:48 GMT

http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/25/news/companies/war_contracts/index.htm

In which, surprise surprise, Haliburton--Cheneys old company, gets the first
contract...

Hmmm...

Dave K

Have a look at this:

http://www.motherjones.com/web_exclusives/features/news/halliburton.html
==+==
"The more money [Brown and Root] spend, the more profitable the contract is,"
says Professor Steve Schooner, a contract expert from George Washington
University. "Nobody in their right mind would enter into a contract that
basically says: 'Come up with creative ways to spend my money and the more you
spend the happier I'll be.'"

[later]

The result, says Danielle Brian, executive director of the non-profit Project
on Government Oversight, is a "pay-now, review-later" approach to contracting.

"Really what it is, is making the flow of tax payer money to these favorite
contractors easier and easier with less oversight and less guarantee that we're
getting what we're paying for," Brian charges. "We no longer know what we're
going to get for our money. And it really opens up the government for being
taken for a ride."
==+==

Scott A