 Off-Topic / Debate / 19827
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 05:01:06 GMT

Yes.  I can't think of a plausible reason to think that we are more
concerned with doing good than _everyone_ else.  I think that all people are
motivated by their own interests which means that any country or society
will have "good" and "bad" people.

Pretty cynical.  And un-American, I might add.

It's unamerican to think that people are self interested?  Or to think that
nations are made up of good and bad people?  Or to think that America is
largely like many other countries?

Bingo.  That is exactly what I meant.  I believe that the US is unique and
special; a shining example of Freedom to the world.  I am proud to be an
American, and I believe all Americans should be proud of their country and
grateful for living in it.  Because of our greatness, I believe we have a
special responsibility to the world to make it a better and safer place.  We
are unlike any other nation.

Rigged??? Come on.  How did those who "rigged" the election know
it would be so close in popular vote?  The idea is nuts.

Well, they couldn't know _how_ close it would be until very near the election.
If the planning started far in advance of things, then they were just planning
for contingencies.  Though, it might have been put together pretty quickly too.

Bear in mind that Florida was almost certain to be a narrow margin either way.
It was a place where some extra-legal influence could be exerted because of
the relationship of the governors.  Also remember that with 25 votes in the
Electoral College, it represents over 9% of the TOTAL votes needed to win (270)
the election.  If you had to plan for a close race, it would be a great place
to be able to fix things.  There are only three states with more influence.
Texas couldn't be lost and New York couldn't be won.  California would be close
and was thus hard to plan for, but Bush didn't have an in there like he did in
Florida, so he went with what he had.  It was just a tremendous opportunity to
hedge the bet.  And it worked.

Interesting analysis.  If it were true, I'd say not bad for an idiot;-)

The problem is that there are many terrorist organizations that *do* want the
destruction of the state of Israel-- until *that* issued is addressed,
nothing positive can happen WRT the Palestinians and their nationalistic
aspirations.

But how can a bunch of people who aren't even a nation expel the bad among
them?  So let's imagine that 95% of the Palestinians don't want the end of
Israel.  You say they should eschew violence, but how?  Do they even have the
infrastructure to stand against their crazies?

Sounds like they could use some help.  Wouldn't you suppose the neighbors would
*love* to assist them in purging the scum from Palestine?  Israel would fight
for Palestine like they were her own children!  And if we are willing to go
after Saddam and take on the 4th largest army in the world, he'd gladly send in
some troops to help, too.

It's not extortion to put conditions on gifts.  We would not be threatening
them with violence, we would just be refusing to continue to fund their
campaign of oppression.

Their "campaign of oppression" is actually a campaign of self-defense.  Since
terrorists eminate from the Palestinian populace, Israel is forced to maintain
tight control over them.  If this threat were to be removed, there would be no
need for control.

Depends what you mean by "us".  The obliteration of Washington D.C. and all
of our leaders would instantly create 50 "countries" of some sort.

I'm not convinced that:

a) this would really happen
b) if it did happen it would last longer than a day or two
c) this would be a bad thing

Dude, you are sick!

To which of these do you object?  I'd prefer our republic be a bit looser,
that's all.  Since when if having a different political opinion a sign of
mental illness?

lol, okay, I was reacting to "c)"  To say that you are not convinced that the
annihilation of Washington D.C. isn't a bad thing sounds rather harsh....

JOHN