 Off-Topic / Debate / 19849
Re: Just Teasing, I Have No Intention of Debating Any of This...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:09:30 GMT

Rigged??? Come on.  How did those who "rigged" the election know
it would be so close in popular vote?  The idea is nuts.

Well, they couldn't know _how_ close it would be until very near the election.
If the planning started far in advance of things, then they were just planning
for contingencies.  Though, it might have been put together pretty quickly too.

Bear in mind that Florida was almost certain to be a narrow margin either way.
It was a place where some extra-legal influence could be exerted because of
the relationship of the governors.  Also remember that with 25 votes in the
Electoral College, it represents over 9% of the TOTAL votes needed to win (270)
the election.  If you had to plan for a close race, it would be a great place
to be able to fix things.  There are only three states with more influence.
Texas couldn't be lost and New York couldn't be won.  California would be close
and was thus hard to plan for, but Bush didn't have an in there like he did in
Florida, so he went with what he had.  It was just a tremendous opportunity to
hedge the bet.  And it worked.

Interesting analysis.  If it were true, I'd say not bad for an idiot;-)

So, obviously you think it is untrue, but why?  It seems like virtually all the
evidence points the way I'm suggesting.  And for the record, I don't think that
he's as dumb as he seems...he almost couldn't be!  But even if he were, it is
still entirely possible that his father -- who doesn't seem at all stupid,
arranged things.  Or even, that lower functionaries in the two state
governments handled things on their own...what happened doesn't require much of
a conspiracy.

Chris