 Off-Topic / Debate / 1980
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:44:16 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Sproaticus wrote:
On other hand, consider this:  If God *didn't* create the rules, who did?
Who worked in the Void in which God created light?
Right... and you've just stumbled into one of my favorite anti-god
arguments... infinite regress. a Universe with god doesn't explain
any more, or less than a universe without one.

Yah, well, we're basically having the same discussion as the whole Big Bang
thing.

Q: What happened before the Big Bang?

A1:  Nothing.  Period.  Matter didn't exist, energy didn't exist, nothing
didn't exist.  So there.

A2:  All matter and energy was squeezed into a really, really, really tiny
packet of superdense zero-dimensional *stuff*, that one florg (the unit of
time before the B.B.) decided to suddenly go KA-BLOOEY.

A3:  Once upon a time, there was a universe, much like this one, that got so
old that it eventually collapsed onto itself and then re-spawned all matter
and energy into what we know today, which will eventually get so old that
it'll eventually collapse...

Feh.  This science is all the rage at Berkeley and Cambridge.  But change
the vocabulary, and all of a sudden we're discussing religion.

But back to God.  There will always be fundamental questions to which no one
can give an answer.  What's wrong with answering, then, "Because God did
this" or "Because God allowed this"?  It still leaves us with a sense of
wonder and inadequacy, except that now there's a reason...

Positing a god to explain
why the universe exists doesn't actually add any information because now
you have to explain why that god exists. Or decide that god is
unexplainable.

It really depends upon your motives, doesn't it?  I'm not trying to explain
the nature of the universe or why we exist.  All I want to know is what
awaits me, and what consequence my actions have.  To this end, I ponder and
conclude seeing the truth in God.  Everything else kinda falls into place.

But, to each their own.  Which is kinda cool.  :-,

Heck, I'm HAPPIER
with that than with an unexplainable god who loves us but doesn't have
to obey any laws or have any physical manifestation.

Have you looked into Buddhism?

Cheers,
- jsproat