 Off-Topic / Debate / 19522
Re: It's a sad day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:50:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremiah VanderMark writes:
Terry,

As much as I generally loathe wading into .debates, I feel I have to speak
up and agree with you, or at least your political stance. I've been arguing
all day, seemingly with the rest of my bit of America (backwater Michigan,
so one can imagine the general attitudes), and it's become tiresome. I too
am ashamed of my country, and I'll leave it at that.

Hum...  Maybe not ashamed of your country, but of its attitude in this
crisis.  A crisis it started.

The point of my post, though - congratulations. Sure, the climate may not
be fun, but you should be able to enjoy this. My birthday's September 10th
(though in '01 the celebration was supposed to be a couple days later), so I
get the opportunity to feel a bit like you do now on an annual basis. I
don't mean to sound too harsh, but it feels a little selfish to complain
about a personal honor coinciding with large-scale tragedy.

Selfinsh?  I dunno.  I'd feel more selfish going around posting how cool
this is, totally ignoring this tragedy.  But I understand your point.

Just try to disconnect the two events and enjoy what you've got (I was
going to say 'while you still have it',

I'm enjoying it !  Don't worry about it.  I'm very proud and very honoured,
though unfortunately it's not the best week to win it.  But it's better to
win it this week than never !

but being Québécois you don't have
that whole imminent-governmental-implosion thing going on :)

Oh, I'm not so sure...  We are having elections in a month!  If my party
looses this election, it'll be 4 years of misery over here!  A total mess!

just my opinion,
-jeremiah-

PS- congratulations again. You do a great job with the site and deserve the
CSOTW.

Thanks a lot.

Terry