 Off-Topic / Debate / 1946
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:00:32 GMT

Simon Robinson <simon@simonrobinson.com> wrote in message
much Christian thinking.  Yet although I've basically worked
towards what sounds a lot like the Christian God, still nothing in
what I've said allows us to deduce that there is anything
special about the Bible or about Christian theology. This is the
point I was trying to challenge Jesse Long about - but that branch
of the debate kinda died.(My fault, I never got round to answering
his last post, though Jesse - if you're reading this - you did rather
ignore that point in all your Bible quotes <grin>)

I guess I missed the gist of the message.  Besides, in the end this isn't
about deduction, it's about faith.  I can't prove there's anything special
about God.  If you take the OT as historical fact, then there is a God that
intervenes in our lives and has a special people, and many prophets predict
a Messiah coming.  If you take the NT as fact, then Jesus fulfilled all the
prophesies.  If you don't take either as fact, then you don't have anything,
and you just can't prove the authenticity of scriptures to someone who
doesn't want to consider it.

So are you saying that you  are against homosexuality
because of what the Bible says but that you don't hold that against
gays? If so then I'd put it to you that that interpretation of the Bible
still fails my test (which you seemed to agree with) of
'Does a particular interpretation cause love rather than suffering?':
You personally might not discriminate
against gays or go around beating them up, but other people do, and that
is largely caused by a history of well-intentioned Christians preaching
that homosexuality is wrong.

That's an interesting stance.  It makes just about everything evil, since
everything and everyone can be implicated in a wrong interpretation and
wrong prosecution of it's core values.  I don't think the existence of a
wrong interpretation can nullify the value of the original.

Jesse