 Off-Topic / Debate / 1780
Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:47:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Robinson writes:
<snipped above>
So how do you explain this? • <snip>

Presumably you're not going to claim that both of these are true? Yet they
are both very clearly written down.

I can explain them as far as the context of "the reward he got for his
wickedness" if we consider the verse after Acts 1:18, and the verses following
Matthew 27:5, respectively. Here is a good example why it is good to read more
than one biblical account of the same story to clarify details. I've included
the verses you were kind enough to provide:

Acts 1:18. (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field.;
there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled
out.
Acts 1:19 And it became known to all those dwelling Jerusalem; so that field
is called in their own language, Akel Dama, that is, Field of Blood.)

Matthew 27...
Matthew 27:5. So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he
went away and hanged himself.
6) But the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, "It is not lawful to
put them into the treasury, because they are the price of blood."
7) And they took counsel and bought with them the potter's field, to bury
strangers in.
8) Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day.

One thing we must assume to be true is that the "money", "reward" and "silver
pieces" are all one and the same. To me it seems logical. Given that, we can
go on.

Now, assuming both accounts to be true and non-contradictory...

Things we can surmise from both accounts:
1) a field known as the "Field of Blood" was purchased with the money/silver
pieces
2) Judas took his own life

Things we can surmise from either account about Judas:
1) Judas did not have the money on him when he died (27:5)
2) he hanged himself (27:5)
3) he fell headlong... (gory details) (1:18)
4) Judas bought the field (1:18)
5) chief priests bought the field (27:5)

What we can't surmise from either alone or together is:
1) how he hanged himself, that is, the exact hanging method used to take his
own life, and BTW, there is more than one way to do it
2) how laws of possession of money worked in that culture
3) how laws of property ownership and it's purchase worked in that culture

There are instances that state that just because a man died didn't mean that
he lost property. Although I am extremely rusty in Jewish law, one paraphrased
example states that if a man dies, his next-of-kin, usually a brother, is to
have children, if possible, and bring them up in the dead man's name, even
though the next-of-kin has sired the children.

How's that?

-Tom McD.
when replying, amusement park home to the world's longest meatlike
rollercoaster - Spamcaketopia! opening next year in Muncie Indiana.