 Off-Topic / Debate / 19322
Re: Megan's Law, and its implications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:24:52 GMT

Sorry if I've been a little more rambly than usual, I'm home from work with a
stomach flu and I've slept about 90% of the past 20 hours.  I just reread my
note and while I accept that lots of people write better than me, this one was
a bit much.

Basically, I think that to deny access to our rights as citizens based on the
age of the citizen (which I assert kids are) is exactly the moral equivalent
of denying rights based on skin tone or gender.  (Which is to say, an
abomination.)

Okay, but would you hold a profoundly retarded person equally culpable for
his actions as a fully-functioning, mentally healthy adult?  To do so would
be, in my view, unforgiveably cruel and unfair.  By the same token, if a
child is developmentally unable to make certain decisions or to handle
certain situations, is it acceptable to hold that child responsible for the
repercussions of those decisions, even if the child was forced into making
the decision?

No.  I agree.  People should be shamed for tricking the unwise that way.

I confess, your model is impressive but seems inconsistent with what is
currently the case.

I don't follow.

I'm not exactly opposed to paying kids for the chores, just the coercion part.
The kid should be as free to enter a contract for labour as an adult.  I do
find it repugnant for the parents to withhold reasonable spending power in
order to defacto coerce their kids.

Well, if the kid doesn't want to do the chore, should the child still be
given reasonable spending power?

Yes.  One of the things that parents owe their kids is as much
self-determination as possible.  And spending power is a part of that.  A
family that has no spare cash, however does not owe as much to the kids as a
family that is wealthy.  I mean, it would be nice to see a more even playing
field, but in our reality, that's the only way I can see it being.

Do you advocate child employment along the
lines of early 20th century sweatshops?  Clearly these would spring up in a
hurry if children were free to enter into employment contracts under their
own counsel.

A contract entered into under duress or by parties incapable of understanding
the ramifications isn't valid.  In general, I think that we as a society and we
as parents owe it to our kids to not make child sweatshops the best choice.
Under certain financial situations, it may be the best choice, and it should be
allowed.  I think.

I guess I don't understand your point; should children be given a wage
even if they aren't doing work?

I think the child should be given some money.  It's only wages when in exchange
for work, I think.

Is the parent free to set the wage?

Either the currency should be changed to man-hours and everyone should get one
per, or all employers and employees should be free to negotiate their wages.

If the
child rejects the wage, is he free to seek employment elsewhere?

Sure.

Can the
parent charge the child for room and board and affection?

No, it is owed.  The parents made the choice to bring a human into the world.
They must fulfill their obligations to the best of their ability.

Can a parent terminate his contract with his child?

I'm not sure what the contract is, but presumably you are wondering if a child
can be disowned..?  I would say that only in extreme cases is that reasonable.

Can a parent sue his child for
breach of contract?  What manner of reparations are suitable?

There's no contract to breach...unless I'm not getting something.

Keep in mind that ab-use is a synonym for mis-use.  I think it a misuse of a
human to enslave them.

I think you need to refocus that premiss.  By some measure, all employment
is enslavement.

How do you figure?  It's only enslavement if you're forced.  I'm not, and thus
I'm not enslaved.

I think that there is no contract in place between an unborn
child and the prospective parents that give the parents special privelege in
forcing compliance with rules. _All_ of the responsibility for giving is on
the shoulders of those who had a choice. Parents incur a great responsibility,
much more so than most people understand when first making that choice -- and
usually ever, in my estimation.

But it seems that, in your estimation, the child is (from the age of four)
able to make reasoned choices based on abstract societal issues.  Surely
such a child could be made to understand the implications of a social
contract and the tacit endorsement of that contract by continuing to sleep
in a bed under his parents' roof?

If the only way for the family to survive is for every member to work the farm,
then that's what has to happen.  But for 99% of Americans, tha's not how it is,
and to hold their membership in the family hostage in exchange for work is
negligent and evil.

I grant you, prior to the development of
mature reasoning skills a child cannot be held to the same liabilities as a
full-grown adult, but you seem happy to ascribe mature responsibility to
children at a much earlier age than I am willing to accept.

Not exactly.  I think I must have communicated poorly.  I think that right now,
most parents just decide what their kids can handle in the way of
responsibility.  I think kids should have penultimate say in such things.  The
law would work to protect them from obligations beyond the scope of their
understanding.  And the ability of people to understand what they're getting
themselves into is a spectrum anyway.  Our law suggests that prior to 18 (most
places) people are completely clueless and after that time, they are completely
clueful.  That's absurd.  Look that the trouble that college students get into
with credit.

Bravo for your son, but it's dangerous to extrapolate a "correct" method
of child rearing based on a microscopically anecdotal sample.  Can you
demonstrate how you would have handled your son's response if he hadn't seen
the light of your democratic budget planning?  I simply don't accept that
your four year old child has formal, adult reasoning ability regarding
abstract cause-and-effect regarding the relative worth of metaphorical
exchange media.

For the record, he's eight now, that was some time back.  He didn't have the
same degree of abstraction that I have, nor that he has now.  But neither do
most adults.  And I didn't make up this way of handling kids in a vaccuum.  I
was won over by others that I witnessed and corresponded with who were making
it work.  My kids are not being raised the way I was.

I'm not sure what I would have done if he hadn't thought that keeping our house
was important.  I know a man who is roughly 20 years older than me who gave his
kids the option of not going to school at a time and place where homeschooling
wasn't an option.  He explained that they'd have to flee to the woods and give
up lots of their suburban comfort.  They chose that and he did it (or claims to
have).  The kids chose to go back to their old life a few months later.  It
sounded like a pretty expensive shift, but he was happy and confident that he
did the right thing.

I don't think I'm willing to go that far.  Kids should have freedom over their
lives, not over mine.

If he is so able to reason, you need to bring him to the
attention of child psychologists; your methods of parenting must be
revolutionary.
My tone, as I reread that bit, is admittedly a bit sarcastic, and I
apologize for unintended sharpness.  Nevertheless, if you're asserting your
child to have abstract reasoning skills vastly in an excess of those I've
ever witnessed in any other children,

What exact behavior did I describe that seems so out of the ordinary?  There
are other people who report the same experiences.

I have to question:

A: Are you deliberately misrepresenting the data for some end?

No.  But maybe I left something important out?

B: Are you simply overestimating your child's reasoning skills?

I didn't mean to suggest that he's extraordinary.  He isn't.  He's a little
brighter than average, but not weirdly so.

C: Is your child a wunderkind with unprecedented formal reasoning skills?

No.

D: Are you using selective reasoning, due to parental affection?

Dunno.  I don't think so.  Can you suggest how that might be?

E: Is your child simply feigning comprehension, and are you too quick to
    believe that he comprehends?

Comprehends what?  All I told him was that if we didn't pay this amount (about
$400 at the time) then the bank would make us move and we didn't have anywhere
to move that would be cheaper.  It just doesn't seem like the rocket-science
that you're making it out ot be.

F: Does your child not understand, although you nonetheless perceive him
    to have comprehended the situation?
G: Are you undertaking any or all of the above?

I've read enough of your views to believe implicitly that you wouldn't
deliberately falsify information to make a point, but I do believe that you
might be selective in your perceptions, much as we all are selective.

Perhaps, but I'm still unlear on what you think is so extraordinary.  I'm not
offended by the suggestion and would be happy to pursue it.

Chris