 Off-Topic / Debate / 19289
19288  |  19290
Subject:
Megan's Law, and its implications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:51:18 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/03/05/scotus.sex.offenders.ap/index.html

What are people's thoughts on this?  I've heard arguments in the past that
mandatory registration for sex offenders is some kind of double punishment
after they've already served their prison terms.  I've also heard arguments
that criminal records are a matter of public record, and registration of
this kind (and specifically the internet posting of pictures and names) is
merely the propogation of public record.

Thoughts?

     Dave!