 Off-Topic / Debate / 1908
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:44:02 GMT

Ensio Tammi wrote:
My point was the really young age. Nowhere (alltough I don't have any hard
facts) is the number of murders done by young ones so high than in U.S. You
should really ask yourself what's going on!
In the US your child is more likely to die from meteor strike
than from a classmate.

I have to contest this statement.  I went through a pretty tough school in New
Jersey, where I had friends affected by two in-school fatalities in one year.
No meteor deaths, though it could've been a quiet season.

How many Serbs under the age of 15 have shot people?  My guess is that
you'll find a higher percent than in the US.

Absolutely true.  You could probably name twenty wars in the past twenty years
where a child was chartered by the government to kill someone else.  When
you're desparate to keep power, you're not going to card anyone who gets
"volunteered".

We have petty little
school yard violence and you act like it's a major rash.

Part of the problem in this is the press.  Sadly, they're in it for the money.
And reporting on dramatic school-yard killings sells more papers than
reporting on ways of dying that effect the majority of people:  traffic
accidents, heart attacks, cancer, meteor deaths, etc.  Even being rubbed out
by the mob doesn't guarantee getting your name mentioned at 6 o'clock anymore.

Judging by the press, all of Europe is about to go stark raving bonkers due to
mad cow disease and other forms of tainted beef.  While they're inundated
by a civil war run by "hackers" and neo-Nazis.  But that'd be a blessing,
'cause they're all about to go stark raving poor from the Euro.  ...Judging by
the press.

Cheers,
- jsproat