 Off-Topic / Debate / 1909
Re: Taking things on faith (was Re: POV-RAY orange color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 19:49:01 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip legitimate rant on history of "Christian" actions>

But the people performing them believed they were. If christianity is as
slippery and hard to define as John said it is, what good is it as a
moral code?

Lar-

I'm going to submit to you this:  Being a Christian means literary being
"Christ-like".  I don't care what anyone *says* they are, if they are not acting
Christ-like, they are not Christian.  Just because I call myself the greatest Lego
builder ever, does that make it true?  Even Jesus said, "Many will come to me and say
"Lord, Lord", and I will say "I never knew you".  That's harsh.

And while it's true that we can never can earn God's love (it's *already* given
unconditionally), faith without works (ie following Jesus' example on earth) is
NOTHING.  If you profess to be a Christian and someone can't tell you are a Christian
by what you do, you've got some serious issues-- namely that you aren't a Christian.
To be an orange tree, you must bear oranges.  If you are bearing apples, you are an
apple tree, no matter how often you say you are an orange tree or no matter what you
believe about yourself to be true.  The proof is in the pudding.

Being a Christian is a *life process*, not an event.  Because I utter the words "I
accept Jesus as my personal savior" does not instantly grant me eternal life.  It is
the beginning of a journey.  And the journey is long.  And not easy.  And requires
sacrifice.  But it is, I believe, the way we were meant to live our lives.

-John