 Off-Topic / Debate / 18899
Re: Its about time someone put this concept in print.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:24:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:

But come on, we can't compare Iraq and Germany.  In the 1930', Germany was
(and still is) already a powerfull industrial nation, one of the biggest in
Europe.  Iraq is starving to death, people are poor, industries are so far
behind in technology!  And furthermore, they have what?  6-7 Millions of
people?  Germany was always one of the biggest countries in Europe.

Just for the record, it's more like 22 million.  And the central government
has a fair amount of cash from oil income.

Iraq was armed by USA.  Not Germany.
Iraq's "tyran" was put there by the USA's administration, not Hitler.

We aided him once he was already there, and it was more a case of we were
trying to annoy Iran rather than aid Saddam (still, another sorry example of
US Diplomacy).

And the allies didn't kill many German citizens in the second WW.  Well, not
as much as they will kill Iraqi citizen in the upcoming war, since US troops
will only go were the bombs have destroyed and kill everything first...
Like in 1992.

German civilian loses were somewhere around 2,000,000.  Civilian loses
caused by the US in 1992 and Afghanistan were astonishingly light in
comparison.  Actually invading Iraq will cause more civilian damage than in
the Desert Storm operation, though.

That's modern war.  War is always sad.  Especially since this one is pointless.

Oh, there's a point, whether it is worth saving the rest of an ungrateful
world is another matter entirely (and of course, whether anyone is being
saved is also debatable).

-->Bruce<--