 Off-Topic / Debate / 1882
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:49:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
So if the majority of Americans decided that homosexuality was a
jailable offense, you'd be all right with that?

uhhh.. pardom me if I.Q.s just dropped sharply while i was away (name that
movie!)... but isn't that the definition of a little thing called democracy???

(first, let me state that the issue you spoke is irrelevant in my arguement, i
don't want homophobia to be the focal point)..

but currently the majority of americans think marijuana should be illegal
(something that i *strongly* agree WITH) and so it is... and if one day the
majority of americans believes the other way, then guess what, odds are the
laws will change.. i won't like it, but that's the way democracy works.. public
OPINION guides the judicial process... (the process is heavily muddled due to
public representation which can be fiddled with, i.e. corrupt officials,
lobbying, riders, etc) but the overall idea is simple.. what we *mostly* all
agree on, we eventually make law...

want a case in point??? seat belts... we mostly all agree that they're a good
idea.. so now it's the law in all 50 states.. wasn't when i was growing up..
public opnion did that... how about the speed limit.. we didn't like having to
go 55, so we mostly all agreed to raise it on major highways...

you may not like the idea of public opinion driving the changes we make, but it
does... it's too simple to say "if you don't like the laws in america, get out"
cause we all know you can't just easily radically change the way of life you've
known since day one... but the bottom line is, i could never live in amsterdam
because the laws/procedures there would basically grind my moralistic spine
until i imploded on myself... so i'll never move there.. but for the people who
*are* there currently, it must suit them.. cause the public opinion of the
people in the area sets the way people will govern themselves (in a free
society).. so you're naive if you think public opnion doesn't make the rules in
america..

another case.. OJ... too damned many people loved "da juice", so the p***k got
off... i don't like it.. but what are you going to do?