 Off-Topic / Debate / 1881
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:32:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:

Clinton was guilty of one thing - trying to hide his indescrition from Hilary.

personally i think that in itself is a naive statement... for all we know (and
personally, i would expect), Hillary is *very* aware of Bill's
philandering... it's the public he made the false statment to... hell, he and
Hillary could very well have an "understanding"... the presidential position is
one that is to be filled by a married man... so for all we know, their
relationship might very well be based on keeping up appearances (normal couples
have stayed together longer for far less)...

personally, i don't care what he does.. it's his penis... as long as the
party he's with doesn't mind, he can do what he wants with it...

and i don't mind paying taxes.. our tax rate is a hell of a lot less than some
countries (true, a great many of them have publicly funded health care, but
still...) and everytime i take my daughter to a nice school, driving down a
nice road, being directed by a crossing guard, i think about where my tax
dollars go... get real, america is a bitchen place, and it's all because of
that extra 8.25% they throw on every LEGO set i buy from TRU, or the 27% of
my $65K i give up each april 15th... sorry, but it's hard to take a complaint
seriously when it's being made from people who have plenty of food (so much so
that we americans are generally WAY overweight), plenty of public eduction (the
quality of which is only hindered by our reluctance to pay more taxes or be
involved enough to ensure we get the most bang for the bucks we're already
handing over) nice houses, nice cars, nice jobs and plenty of freedom,
opportunity and happiness to go around.. hell, we even get to *kill* people if
they get out of line... (an in texas we take some of those laws even further)

i'm the most cynical, dour person i know.. but even i can't BS myself into
believing life in america sucks in the least... christ, i live near plano,
TX... i see 4th graders walking to school wearing clothes worth as much as my
daily suits... if any american thinks things are bad in america, they just need
to visit the dallas suburbs... things are so nice that rich kids turn to
heroin... now THAT is screwy.. life is so good that we americans go in search
of something bad, like we have nothing better to do..

please...