 Off-Topic / Debate / 18563
    What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian...] —Scott Arthur
   (...) I fear the strong pro-liberal media in the USA has struck again. I read this yesterday: It's a dirty business (URL) then it is extraordinary what you do and don't hear in the US at present. Last Thursday, as predicted in this column a (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian...] —David Koudys
     (...) Everything I read about this issue tells me that Strom 'renounced' his segregationalist views, that he became more moderate thru the years. Times changed and so did Strom. Lott, on the other hand, still hasn't clarified what he meant by "All (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian...] —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) I have no love for Lott and certainly not for Thurmond. I just have one question, where does the "blatantly racist" charge come from with respect to Goldwater's campaign? I'm wondering if that reveals a tendency for the Guardian to play loose (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         the irish times [not the Guardian] & goldwater's "racism". —Scott Arthur
     (...) Wonder ye not! If you check again carefully, you will see it is quoted from the "Irish Times" - ie **NOT** The Guardian. What was that about playing loose and fast? ;) However, I think the racist tag refers to his alleged support for "states' (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian...] —Maggie Cambron
   (...) While I can only speak from my perspective as a denizen of that burning hotbed of bleeding heart liberalism, Northern California, that isn't true at all from what I can tell. Lott's comment has been the primary topic of every talk radio host (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: What does a Republican have to do to cause outrage? [was Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian... —Scott Arthur
   (...) Point taken. It's hard to know when he wrote the text. The story [of the fuss] even made it to the BBC TV news last night [for 10 seconds max!]. I think the story actually says more about the Democrats than it does the media or the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)