 Off-Topic / Debate / 18524
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 01:03:39 GMT

So, ok. I have absolutely no issues other than personal preference when it
comes to the answers that Nathan's given-- They all make perfect sense.

  Wow, wish I could end a debate on that note! (This is a joke, please do
not take offensce).

However, they ONLY make sense accepting what we (or at least I) would
consider to be *IMPERFECTIONS* in God. See below examples snipped from above:

  I assume from this you do not believe in God (particularly the God of
christians). Please do not take it amiss if I refer to his existence in the
positive. Besides believing it, I think it would be crazy to debate his
existance and character at the same time. So I ask for the same concession
as I got from Brendon.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Nathan Todd writes:
God created man but unlike the angles man was created in God's image with
free will.

By creating beings with "free will", God CANNOT know how they will react, or
else it's not free will. If the beings he creates are predetermined to act
in a certain way, and God attended every infintesimal detail of their
creation, he either doesn't KNOW what will happen, or his creations don't
actually have true free will.

  I don't see the logic in this (forgive me). We have free will but God
knows what we will choose. What is so incompatible about this? It's like me
asking you a question and knowing with certainty what you will say. You
still have a choice in your words but I all ready knew what you would say.

His mercy could not forgive without some offering to clean the sin and
without a cleansing all evil is consumed in the presence of God (he does not
enjoy this the way you picture it...

His mercy *COULD* not forgive? A limitation on God?

   God set up perameters when he created the world. He choose to limit
himself in these.

Eventually they became so evil that God regretted making them, he
had wanted them to be his friends by free will but instead they had grown
evil. Despite his love for mankind his role as judge forced him to punish
the sinners and start again with Noah.

God *REGRETTED* making them? That most definitely implies that he made a
mistake. Further, if he wanted to suddenly "start anew", why not just
*change* all the existing beings into "good" ones, rather than killing them
off? Loves the sinner, hates the sin? So why kill the sinner if God has the
option to simply remove their sinful nature?

  I can regrett something without being wrong. A mistake is not definetly
implied. I bought a lego set for $20 that normally costs $30. I was right in
thinking it was a good deal but I regretted it when I saw it later for $10.
(Lego example...Oh Yeah!) Again a joke.

It seems to me God always had good things planned for us, we just screwed
them up.

People are capable of screwing up God's plans?

    Yes, because he allowed us to under the original purpose of creating the
world: Free Will (again).

In this new covenant anyone at all could be free of their sins and live in
God's love by accepting Jesus as the go between. Amazing Grace.

A *NEW* covenant? What was wrong with the old one? Why didn't he start
things off this way? Again, reminicient of God's error.

  The first covenant worked but God wanted to extend it. That doesn't make
the last one a mistake. It just adds a better alternative.

After giving people a chance he has no choice but to bring about fair
judgement.

Again, God had no choice? Implies he *can't* do something...

    He is good and the judge of everything. Because of this he must be fair.
Again something he brought on himself.

6) Nb 16:41-50
When people complain that the deaths of the 250 rebels was wrongful, God
sends a plague on the sympathizers.  Aaron has to intercede to curb God's
wrath, and succeeds, but only after 14,700 are dead.

More rebellion, open and in numbers. Also false accusations, hatrid and
many other sins. Please remeber all sins carry the death penalty unless some
atonement is made, before Jesus' final offering God could not postpone
judgement in hope that they would change if he was present. Also note Moses
and Aron's attempts to save people.

My take on this example (and the next one) was that Aaron is actually able
to convince God to stop? Granted, I don't know the story on this one, but
why would God's "perfect" judgement be altered by an imperfect, free-willed
human?

   God as I am trying to show is merciful. It is when you are evil in his
prescence (pre Jesus) that you are subject to judging. The Holiness of Aaron
(and Moses in other example) acted as a shield. Entering God's prescence in
front of the sin and asking for mercy on behalf of others (much like Jesus)
this enabled God's mercy to come into play.

7) Nb 21:4-9
Again the Israelites complain about their life in the desert.  This time God
sends venemous snakes to attack the complainers, many are killed, and only
the action of Moses prevents further deaths at God's hands.

  Same as the other complaints. vs 5 'The people spoke against God' they
complained and lied to his face!

See above-- *Moses* convinces *God*.

   See above.
And the whole forgiving the people who crucified him doesn't really jibe
with the portrait of God from the Old Testament, and since there's a lot
more evidence on that side, it's hard for me to think of the Biblical God as
anything like forgiving.

  Do you have any evidence that from the cross he called down fire on his
killers?

I didn't get your response to this one. I took this as more of the same--
God's nature changes from the Old Testament (unforgiving stickler for the
rules, who takes every opportunity to act in smiting, etc) to the New
(forgiving, who takes nearly NO opportunities to act, except perhaps in
talking to people)

     I think it's more: Old Testament, Merciful God but evil people who in
many cases sin in his prescence with no covering and he is obliged to judge
them. New Testemant, through the blood of his son Jesus acting as an
offering for all sin everywhere God's mercy and love can fully show themselves.

    Yes we deserve judgement God does not. He has only judged fairly.

Because we have the "God-given" right to free-will, I deem that God is
DEFINITELY deserving of our judgement. That's what we're here to do! Judge
God!
       That is one way of looking at it. I see our role as fufilling our
original purpose of praising God.

Decide whether we want to worship him or not; decide whether to love
him or not; to accept him or not. How else are we to do this save to judge
God himself?

     We should worship him for the sacrifice he made to save us from our own
sins. You  can choose not to but that is perty ungrateful. Similar to
kicking a gift horse in the mouth.

From the above examples, it appears that God is either imperfect, or
*chooses* to be imperfect. Or at the utter least, variable in his
still-somehow-perfect decisions. And using my own judgement, I judge the God
described in the above examples unworthy of my worship. A God who would be
worthy of my worship would act in a consistant manner; and would be
incapable of mistake. Certainly, any God who is "convinced" by anyone or
anything else to *change* his mind is no worthy God in my mind. You may
choose differently.

    Please read my response to the examples.
Also what about the issue of the sacrifice Jesus made for you. If you are
'judging God' you should definetly give it some thought. I assume you have
read about this in the bible if not let me know.

DaveE

      Thanks for your reply,

          Nathan

P.S or whatever the net eqiv. is: I didn't mean to be rude with the God Bless.
Please consider that I put it on every post, mean it, and think it really
can't be that bad. I guess I would make too openminded of an atheist as I
would look at 'God Bless' and see someone else waisting there time, no
concern of mine, and in the unlikely (from an atheist perspective) chance
that there is a God someone is asking him to bless me. It can't be bad
either way unless I let it offend me and read into it something that isn't
there.
   Brendon this apolidgy goes for you to but I will include it in my reply
to your post.