 Off-Topic / Debate / 18520
18519  |  18521
Subject:
Keeping it sane...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:18:54 GMT

I read a few message boards daily, and one that I often frequent has a
policy in place--

No religious/political debate.

They implemented that policy 'cause, invariably, the discussion would get,
usually quite quickly, bogged down into a 'flame war'.

First I commend the folks partaking in these types of threads here on LUGNET
for, for the most bit, not getting to that point.

Second, I appreciate that LUGNET seems to attract a specific sort of
person--a mature (as mature as an AFOL can be, I guess ;) ) and
well-educated person who can articulate his or her point well enough to get
it across to others, even if, for some, english isn't their language of choice.

Third, the moderators (if o.t-d ever gets moderated) don't raise their
'ban-stick' at all.  This allows for greater discourse on the debates at
hand, and the community itself is self-policing.

Fourth--if we took out politics and religion for debatable topics, where
would that leave us?  ;)

When I first came to LUGNET many moons ago, there was an issue about
Community Policing.  Well, I'm here today saying that, whatever side I came
down on then (can't remember), this community does work, it does flourish,
and it continues to offer the participants with a forum that is a pleasure
to read (even if I don't agree with some points made).

LUGNET may not be the 'friendliest place on the internet' anymore (though
for me the jury's still out on that--when was the last time an all-out flame
war closed boards around here) but I appreciate it, and thank the owners,
moderators, and participants for making it a good place for me.

Dave K.
-this post was brought to you by the simple fact that other boards I visit
really suck(1)

(1) the perceived 'suckage'(2) of the other message boards, is wholly in the
participants POV and has no legal or overriding bearing as to whether the
boards in question really do suck or not.

(2) A legalistic term for something that is not quite good.