 Off-Topic / Debate / 18521
Re: Keeping it sane...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:35:27 GMT

LUGNET may not be the 'friendliest place on the internet' anymore (though
for me the jury's still out on that--when was the last time an all-out flame
war closed boards around here) but I appreciate it, and thank the owners,
moderators, and participants for making it a good place for me.

  The overall quality of character on LUGNET has always impressed me.  Even
while John Neal and I have been spitting fire at each other here in .debate,
we've still exchanged good-natured japes in ot.pun.  I recall a year or two
ago Frank Filz and I were sharply at odds on another issue, but he still
responded to a post of mine in lugnet.cad with some helpful insight, and
Larry's done the same for me on one or two occasions.  I also remember a
time when Chris Weeks and I had come to blows over some world-shattering
debate, but we still completed an Ebay transaction without a hitch.
  So on the whole I share your appreciation for the general quality of
generally civil discourse here, not to mention the caliber of people on the
scene.  I've been on other posting forums in which long-time rivals would
invariably hijack one another's thread just to blast the opponent--where's
the benefit in that?  Here in ot.debate we have occasional drive-by's and
some admittedly short-tempered exchanges, yet we still maintain a
predominantly family-friendly forum.

     Dave!