 Off-Topic / Debate / 18428
18427  |  18429
Subject:
"I am told that" "it is probable that" "at least some" American-Christians "seem" to fund the IRA?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:23:25 GMT

Better
he should stick to the easy target of check-turning Christians....

I think you mean *cheek* turning christians. Unless, of course, you're
referring to the "Irish Americans who apparently keep turning checks over to
the IRA that someone keeps trying to use as an argument...

If you mean me, I don’t think I have ever made any link between the IRA and
American-Christians or even Irish-Americans [whatever they are] specifically?
Call me on that if I’m wrong, otherwise I’d appreciate some clarification.

Breaking my usual practice of ignoring you and your nonsense,

I find that comment a little disingenuous. To be honest, I wish you would just
ignore me.

I decided to
see how hard it was to clarify this for you. It wasn't hard at all.

Using the search string "fund terrorist ireland arthur" it's not too hard to
dig up lots of examples where you point out that Americans fund Irish
terrorist groups. Here's just one. Excerpting from:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=16252

-start-

The UK has been under *sustained* terrorist attack for 30+ years. These
attacks are largely funded by your own countrymen!  The latest attack was
planned for just yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/northern_ireland/newsid_1954000/1954225.stm

As I said, "I don’t think I have ever made any link between the IRA and
American-Christians or even Irish-Americans [whatever they are]
**specifically**?"

The quote you give does not contradict my statement.

-end-

Note that I shan't deny that various Americans of whatever stripe(1) fund
various terrorist and paramilitary groups (with their own personal funds, it
should be noted) on both sides of the NI conflict.

I merely pointed out (in passing, while riffing on what I felt was a rather
humorous typo of John's) that it's not a valid counter argument for the vast
number of things that you tend to use it for.

It's hard to comment on that unless you give examples. Just assume I disagree
for now.

I expect that distinction will be lost on you, since you're such an
uncritical thinker, but a good debater wouldn't misuse it as a counter so
very much and so very often.

A good debater would not "snigger" at the views of others. ;)

Hope that helps.

1 - I am told that we are a christian nation, that is, most Americans
profess to be christian. Since much US IRA fundraising seems to happen among
ethnic Irish US citizens, it follows that it is probable that at least some
of them are christian, validating my throwaway comment to John.

lol squirm! "I am told that", "seems", "it is probable" & "at least some".

As I said, "I don’t think I have ever made any link between the IRA and
American-Christians or even Irish-Americans [whatever they are]
**specifically**?"

The quote you give does not contradict my statement.

Call me on that if I’m wrong, otherwise I’d appreciate some clarification.

Scott A