 Off-Topic / Debate / 18420
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 05:48:01 GMT

John wrote:
it makes little
sense to point out the flaws in being black.  This holds whether or not you
are a member of the group in question.  (Judaism is somewhere in between
because it is commonly used to refer to both a religion and a particular
ancestry).

I would say that it makes little sense to point out the flaws in someone else's
religion, unless you were trying to discredit that religion.  And if that is
your intent, than a frosty reaction to the BT by Christians could be understood.

Please note that Brendan said he was raised Christian. I would also
argue that almost everyone in the US is sufficiently affected by
Christianity to have sufficient reason to question it. I would also
argue that if a religion can not withstand poking (or for that matter,
any philosophy), then perhaps adherents of that religion (philosophy)
might consider critical examination.

If BPS *were* a Christian, I think it would be different, because he would be
laughing at *himself* as well as others; as it is he is only laughing at
others, and religion is probably the touchiest subject an individual could
choose to mock.

By illustrating Bible stories in LEGO, I am casting light on parts of the
Bible that I find, in turns, extremely disturbing, morally questionable,
confounding, humorous, and strangely interesting.  While I admit to poking
occasional fun at little inconsistancies (such as God killing the Egyptians'
livestock three times over), and generally illustrating with a sense of
humor, I don't consider the tone to be mocking.  Or would you consider any
atheist who points out these parts of the Bible to be mocking Christianity?

I guess it would depend upon how they did it, but no, I do not consider polite
disagreement to be mocking.  But here's my point.  Religion is a pretty
personal issue, and some take it more personally than others.  When you (as an
outsider) decide to take it upon yourself to criticize Christianity, your
motivation comes into question.  It's not your religion, so why criticize it?
I can see why other Christians might look at Christianity in a critical light
(to better understand their own religion), but not so easily an outsider, and
that type of criticism can easily be construed as being mockery and as an
attempt to discredit it as being silly.

As noted above, while Brendan doesn't currently consider himself a
Christian, he has indicated he was raised Christian.

I don't think that you had any particular malice in your intent with the Brick
Testament; all I am saying is that it is certainly conceivable to me to see why
someone might think you did.  But certainly you must have realized that,
generally speaking, non-Christians would find your work a lot more humorous
than Christians, and that some of those Christians would probably be pretty
offended by it as well.  One doesn't get the sense that you are laughing *with*
Christians or Jews, but *at* them.  You really could have done the BT in a
non-offensive way, steering clear of the "controversial" stories, but it
appears that that wasn't really a concern of yours.  If I were to accuse you of
anything, it would be of being insensitive to those who take those stories very
seriously.  But as I said before, it is certainly your perogative, but just
don't be surprised that some may find your work offensive.

Well, clearly Brendan's point was to examine the "controversial"
stories. I think this is a valid public debate since there are elements
of our population who keep claiming we are a "Christian" nation and our
laws should reflect that. Some of these folks also claim the Bible is
infallible and everything is God's word and that should be the basis of
our law. Pointing out the "controversial" passages and "flaws" in that
is certainly a legitimate part of public debate in the US.

On the other hand, I symphathise with some of your feeling that
Christianity gets a bad rap in the US. Of course Islam and Judaism get
their fair share of bad rap. I am always disappointed in my own religion
when things seem like: "All religions are worthy - except Christianity."

Frank