 Off-Topic / Debate / 18431
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:33:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

<snip>

Please note that Brendan said he was raised Christian. I would also
argue that almost everyone in the US is sufficiently affected by
Christianity to have sufficient reason to question it. I would also
argue that if a religion can not withstand poking (or for that matter,
any philosophy), then perhaps adherents of that religion (philosophy)
might consider critical examination.

<snip>

Frank

Hear Hear!  If people cannot undergo scrutiny of their belief system, then
there is something wrong.  The difference b/w scrutiny and all-out
harassment is hard to determine, but still, outside POV can be a good thing.
I applaud RBPS for the BT for it is an *outside* perspective of what people
'in my camp' have been talking about for years.

*Disclaimer*  "You" (second person singular) in the rest of this article is
generic and not specifically pointing at anyone here.

Perhaps some of my fellow Christians have gotten bogged down in dogma and
have lost sight of what the Bible *actually* says, and someone outside comes
along and says, "Hey, waittaminit, you're saying this little book here says
*this* when, as far as I can see, it says *that*."

It should make you re-evaluate your ideas and concepts.  If, at the end of
the your evaluation, your 'soul-searching', you can say with certainty that
RBPS is full of it, then you can say that, and you can, and probably should
give reasons, rationale, and at least an attempt at why you think he's wrong.

But to give a pre-emptive "I'm not going to listen 'cause I don't like what
he says" allows no room for growth on either side, and, imho, demonstrates a
lack of maturity and understanding.

Again, all in my humble opinion.

Dave K