 Off-Topic / Debate / 18165
Re: A word to the international community... (Re: Vote against/for...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:58:13 GMT

Hmmm, then from where?

You know--that dusty old book you believe to be the word of your god.

No, I think he was asking where YOU would get your morals... you reminded
him where he gets his, which I presume he already knew.

We've discussed morality and the origins thereof in the past and I think I'm
in the rather small minority that thinks one can have moral absolutes
without having to have them imposed by an external source, and who therefore
rejects moral relativism.

As an aside I do have some sympathy (i.e. I believe them all to be true)
with the following views, none of which I find contradictory: (grouped
together for convenience)

The US is not free.
The US is the freeest country in the world.
The US ought to be (a lot!) freer than it currently is.

The US is not perfect.
The US is the best country in the world.
The US ought to be (a lot!) better than it is.

The US does not always do the right thing internationally.
The US has, more often than not, been a force for good in the world.
The US ought to be more careful in how it acts, who it allies with and what
sides it takes in international conflicts.
The US is not, and should not be, the worlds policeman.
The US has the right to act in its own self interest when events warrant it.
The US has no imperial ambitions and should not have any, ever.

I know the "best" allegation may not go well with others. Tough. We ARE
better than other countries and countries ought to aspire to be more like
(the good parts of) our system.

That does not make me jingoistic or nationalistic.