 Off-Topic / Debate / 18114
Re: Shocked, just Shocked to learn that .... The Beeb is not always right.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:25:54 GMT

since it wasn't exactly a victory that Dubya pulled, and it certainly isn't
vindicated or buried by this outcome, which merely proves that the party
that spends more money (theirs, and taxpayer money flying the president
around) usually wins.

  I don't understand why the chief executive officer has any business
whatsoever in campaigning for members of the Legislative branch--isn't that
a direct conflict of interest?  I don't condemn Bush uniquely for this,
although he's been a more aggressive campaigner than any other sitting
President.

  Bush has represented himself as a man able to work with others:

"I'm going to be respectful for people who may disagree with me. I've had a
record of doing so in the State of Texas. I've been a person that had been
called a uniter, not a divider, because I accept other people's points of
view."
from http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2000b.html

yet at his first post-election opportunity he made a point of campaigning
for candidates who will support his views no matter how hegemonic and
imperialistic and tyrannical and theocratic they may be.  Heck, if I can
hand-pick the people to make the rules for me, I'll bet I can work with
them, too.

  Let's reflect for a moment on the fact that W has spent more time on
vacation than Santa Claus usually does in a year.  And let's highlight the
fact that many media sources still refer to him as Mr. Bush rather than as
Mr. President or President Bush.  (That's the same so-called liberal media
which has, by the way, completely buried stories of protestors detained or
assaulted in Bush's wake.  The so-called liberal media also has consistently
misrepresented and camouflaged stories of anti-war rallies, often
underestimating their attendance by a factor of 10, 20, or 50.)

  We can now stand by and watch as Bush and the Republican Theocracy do
their best destroy civil liberties, legislate ideology, stonewall scientific
advancement, endorse religion, promote corporate self-regulation, promote
rapid destruction of the environment when convenient, and let's not forget
packing the Federal courts with far-right justices, and Sandra Day O'Connor
isn't getting any younger, either.  Roe v. Wade will probably be reversed
before W is out of office.
  This sucks not only for the next two years but also for the full term of
the conservative judicial appointees.

  Let's all move to Canada.

     Dave!