 Off-Topic / Debate / 18111
18110  |  18112
Subject:
Shocked, just Shocked to learn that .... The Beeb is not always right.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:10:09 GMT

Given the inaccuracy of this counterfactual assertion:

"Mr Mondale had taken over the seat previously held by incumbent Senator
Paul Wellstone, who died in a recent plane crash." (1)

(from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/americas/2408153.stm)

it is not particularly difficult to disagree with this opinion:

"His narrow and controversial presidential victory in November 2000 is now
well and truly buried. "

since it wasn't exactly a victory that Dubya pulled, and it certainly isn't
vindicated or buried by this outcome, which merely proves that the party
that spends more money (theirs, and taxpayer money flying the president
around) usually wins.

(from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2409899.stm)

Woe be us all, the GOP has both houses AND the presidency. Much mischief
will ensue.

1 - Fritz had taken over the CANDIDACY of Paul, not the seat. The seat was
filled by appointment. Governor Jesse, miffed that the independent (nee
Reform) candidate Dean was not included in the singular televised debate
between Fritz and Norm, appointed that very independent(2), Dean, to fill
the vacancy. That appointment took effect immediately but of course will be
supplanted when the electee (apparently Norm) takes office in January.

2 - http://www.mainserver.state.mn.us/governor/november_4_senate_statement.html
(not bitter at all, are we Jesse?... I sympathise though, he's 100% correct)

++Lar