 Off-Topic / Debate / 17960
  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) A minor digression... You *do* need to make further observations to determine if it's true that the hammer would fall. Either you would need to make your deduction based on your witnessing of the descent of the hammer from your hand to the (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) <snip> intellectual posturor! (...) This is what I meant by Spock phrasing it better--he said something like 'on a planet with positive gravity'--it's ST:TOS--when was the last time I caught one of those episodes? ;) I don't have to witness (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  I don't "believe" in Australia (was Re: John Leo's opinion)

(...) Was that from "The Alternative Factor?" I haven't seen much TOS in quite a while, so my memory may be faulty. The problem is that his statement as you quoted it had no boundaries, so we could only assume that it applied to the universe at (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) I've wondered this in the past also. If the planet were not rotating, I think the answer would be that your analysis is correct. Note that you would be in a zero-G environment (or close to it) at the center assuming the Earth is close to an (...) (22 years ago, 2-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Never thought about the rotation--there was an H.G. Wells story about a guy that was granted a wish and his was for the earth to stop spinning--turns out that when the wish was mentioned, the earth stopped instantly anad everything that wasn't (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I don't "believe" in Australia (was Re: John Leo's opinion)

(...) Actually, the phrase can be Googled and a WAV of it found fairly readily. The episode was "Court Martial" and Spock was comparing his confidence in knowing that if he let go of a hammer on a planet with positive gravity, he would know that it (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  I believe in IDIC (was Re: I don't "believe" in Australia (was Re: John Leo's opinion))

(...) It was Spocks way of saying human nature is as reliable as the forces of natural law. I thought that idea, though others might disagree, was quite astute. (...) <snip> Yes, also don't miss the "heart filter" that McCoy uses to filter out the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Ok, that would eliminate the rotation. (...) Since your original problem statement assumed there was no problem with a molten core, I think it's also reasonable to assume the water isn't a problem (you can make a dam from all the earth you (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Would it be a $#*crash*#$ into the side or more of a 'rubbing' every once in a while to stop the sideways velocity. Considering that gravity is pulling straight down, and the original velocity from the surface spin is moving you east at (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

Quoting David Koudys <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca>: (...) I think it'll feel like you're rolling down a steep hill, constantly crashing against the eastern wall. (...) uh, why? gravity is pulling straight down, your momentum is at 90 degs to the force - (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) Now that I pictured that, I understand it better--the force of gravity is always pointing straight to the center from the object, even if you're a foot to the right from where you were a second ago--my visual image is reprocessed--thanks! (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Tunnel through the center of the Earth (was Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing")

(...) Which of course happens as soon as you pass the center... Though the friction of rolling down the side of the tunnel might be enough to stop you at the center. Frank (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Tunnel through the center of the Earth (was Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing")

(...) The terminal velocity will primarily be a function of the density of the air and the surface area of the body. The force being applied will have some effect. Basically what will happen is that near the center of the Earth, the friction from (...) (22 years ago, 3-Oct-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: another goofy question from our resident Canadian! 8^)

(...) (URL) Dave! (21 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: another goofy question from our resident Canadian! 8^)

(...) Oh my goodness!! I forgot all about that one! Thanks Dave! That's awesome! Dave K (21 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"

(...) (URL) (17 years ago, 10-Jul-07, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)