 Off-Topic / Debate / 1785
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:18:12 GMT

Richard Dee <richard.dee@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.122bb3a6c8e85431989730@lugnet.com...
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:51:45 GMT, Steve Bliss uttered the following
profundities...

Right now, gas prices are sucking in MI--they're hanging around • $1.25/gal
for 87 octane (that's 'bout 0.33USD/liter for the cheap stuff, if anyone
cares).

<rant at no one in particular>
Oh how criminal. The shame of it. Oh how you yanks are ripped-off in so
many ways.

Yanks?  Dems fightin' words.  Yankees live up north above Kentucky and
Virginia, Southerners live down south.  And Westerners live on the other
coast.  We've also got Texans, Mid-westerners, American Indians, Amish, New
Englanders (aka Yankees), Mormons, and we also go down to the state, county,
and city levels too, and the list goes on.  So please don't refer to us as
'Yanks'.  I really hate that.  We're Americans if anything.  Mexicans call
us Norte Americanoes (refers to all Americans north of the Rio Grande,
including Canada).  So you could even call us North Americans.  IMO that
would be a lot less insulting than refering to all of us as 'Yanks'.  I
prefer Americans when refering to people who live in the USA.  Even though
the Americas is both continents, we're the only ones with one heck of a long
name (United States of Americans- and it sounds funny), besides we're the
only country in the Americas that has the name America in it.

Stop your pathetic whining over what are pathetically cheap
goods and rejoice in the good things that you have and give the rest
of us a break!

It is really shocking how Americans do nothing but complain about their
ridiculously cheap prices, not realising that:
1.the rest of the world pays twice, if not more, than you do.
2.the rest of the world pays twice, if not more, than you do, probably
to subsidise the ridiculously cheap prices that you complain
about being too expensive.
</rant at no one in particular>

That's because you have a lot of environmental laws, you subsidize
yourselves to death, and you have a whole bunch of tax supported social
programs (like free healthcare).  All of this inevitably has an affect on
your economy, raising prices.  We don't have a perfect economy either, but
at least it's a lot more 'free-er' than Europe's.  In other words we don't
'often' subsidizes bad buisnesses so they can stay in business (I know there
are rare ocasions- like the S&L crisis, and farmers).  I believe European
governments subsidize bad businesses so they can keep people employed
because unemployed people in Europe usually means mobs in the street and
everyone calling for big governmental reforms.  We have mobs here too, but
they are mostly racial related.  Our 'free' economy allows businesses to lay
off 1-2 thousand people every other month and still manages to absorb those
employees back in a relatively short period of time.

As it is well known, I usually post to provoke, not necessarily
having the relevant info to back it up.
However.......
You did.

No hard feelings, just my 2cents,
Adam
PS.  Why don't Europeans like us?  I've heard this before, but never
understood why.