 Off-Topic / Debate / 1924
Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:02:12 GMT

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:18:12 GMT, Adam Howard uttered the following
profundities...

Yanks?  Dems fightin' words.  Yankees live up north above Kentucky and
Virginia, Southerners live down south.  And Westerners live on the other
coast.  We've also got Texans, Mid-westerners, American Indians, Amish, New
<snip>

"Yank" is the common, global reference to Americans. You should here the
Strine rhyming slang for Americans, "Septic Tank." :o)

Stop your pathetic whining over what are pathetically cheap • <snipped quote of my ranting>
That's because you have a lot of environmental laws, you subsidize
yourselves to death, and you have a whole bunch of tax supported social
<snipped examples, only for brevity>

Yes, taxation, subsidisation keeps prices high. And, for the UK, I
believe the reason for some of the resistance to the Euro, is to
make it more difficult to compare prices on a pan-European basis.

Public apathy is a problem, too. "Oh it has always been this way"
is a common statement. Plus, UK salaries are edging up higher, as
is the buying power, and as such, people just pay. Makes it difficult
to organise any kind of product boycott, to force the issue.
(CD's are an interesting example of high prices, where the record
labels pretty much admitted that our high prices were to subsidise
the US market).

Shops also argue that the high prices are due to high business
rates. (Local property taxes). They may have some case there, but
margins for retailers show that to be a thin argument.

Wal-Mart will be in the UK soon. I imagine they will force prices
down, but not greatly. The profit margins are so high, they will
reduce the prices a bit, gain terrific market share as a result,
and just rake in the cash, without having made too dramatic a
reduction in the cost of goods.

PS.  Why don't Europeans like us?  I've heard this before, but never
understood why.

You are mistaken, at least from a European level. American
culture is popular, as are products. Anti-American sentiment
would exist on a country by country level, where American
culture is seen as damaging and inferior, especially in
non-English speaking countries. (The French just hate the
intrusion of English words, franglais, into everyday speech).
Like individual Americans, anti-American sentiment would
be predominantly directed to the US Government's politicians
and policies.

richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888