 Off-Topic / Debate / 1923
Re: What Americans think of Europeans (was Re: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 05:01:16 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

Because the parts that weren't offensive (ie, "killing Nips") were just moronic
(ie, "driving out all the most productive people").

I found the insinuation that Europeans are a good market for American products
and incapable of producing quality merchandise of their own to be particularly
ironic, considering the origin of the product that we're all here to discuss.

eric

Apparently the tone of the note was misleading.

You say that "killing Nips" is offensive.  Do you mean that doing so is
offensive, or that using that phrase is?  I agree that doing so is in
modern context.  The phrase on the other hand is an historical accuracy.
If you had asked Marines in PTO why they were there, I'm sure that many
of them would have told you something like that.  Or was it just using
the word Nips instead of Japanese?  I also refer to Negroes as Negroes
or blacks not 'people of African descent' or even 'African Americans.'
Nip is short for egros like American is short for United States of American.

The 'moronic' notion of European nations driving out productive members
of society is simply the case - unless popular histories, high school
history texts, and college history professors are all lying.  And if so,
I'm willing to swallow my misimpression's and correct my ignorance.
Until that happens, FU.

I specifically pointed out that we buy their good stuff and that we need
them to buy our stuff.  That's a fact.  We market stuff to the rest of
the world.  We produce more that we can use.  I never suggested that
they are incapable of producing their own quality merchandise and I
don't believe it.

If you'd like to speak to what I've actually said, then please feel
free, if you want to make stuff up and place it in my mouth and call me
names in the process, and totally feel smart and superior...well...feel
free too.

--Chris