 Off-Topic / Debate / 17601
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:07:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:

If the state can "allow" me not to speak the words (as you said above)
then it's "asking" me to speak them.  And that's an endorsement of
religion.

I believe that one can acknowledge God without endorsing any particular
religion.

Since the notion of "God" is absurd why should he or anyone be encouraged to
speak of it at all?  And how can you claim that God isn't an artifact of a
particular religion?  Does God mean Hera and Zeus?

and good.  It is our way to express that we are different than all nations,
that we have been blessed, and that we have a responsibility to carry the
banner of freedom and liberty in the world today.

We haven't been blessed.  The very fact that you'd say that as an argument for
this shows how far from seeing what we're saying you are.  We aren't different
in any meaningful way aside from happenstance.

How many senators last year on 9-11 sang along with "God Bless America" who
were atheists?  A lot.  Why?  Because it was the patriotic thing (if not
politically wise) to do.

Because they would have been stoned in the streets for not!

Michael Newdow has issues.

Like what?

There's no tyranny or persecution going on--

That's a load of crap.  You are blind and cruel.  I suffered it and you can't
take that away.

if anything I'd say that
Christianity itself is being persecuted.

Christianity deserves it.  There would have to be massive buttloads of
persecution before things were even.

why let it bother you?  Think of it as Nationalism (which I believe much of it
is), or is it with Nationalism that you all have a problem?

I do!

I'm just afraid that if atheists like Newdow keep pressing these issues, there
is going to be a nasty backlash that nobody wants to see.

I do!

Bring it on.  Show us what it means to be a follower of the lamb.  Let our
blood run red in the street at your hands and show the world what the great
American theocracy has to offer.  No wonder y'all're so interested in
Afghanistan...you're taking notes.

Chris