 Off-Topic / Debate / 17350
Re: White House Office to Counter Anti US Sentiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:25:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/07/30/wh.image.office/index.html

Slightly interesting contrast in the BBC version
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2161748.stm

Wheras the BBC report voices some valid reasons why their is anti-US feeling
around the world, even in Europe and the UK, the CNN version seems to report
that it is the rest of the world who simply doesn't understand.

Hmm. This reminds me of when the Conservatives lost power in '97. Rather
than recognise their problems, they simply claimed that voters misunderstood
their agenda and tried to make the result go away. That very attitude was
part of their problem.

This  comes across as the US perceives all it needs to do is change its PR
as opposed to its actions.

Don't worry. We are still coming to the US for our family holiday.
My wife will also be doing her best in the stores to single handedly rescue
the US economy.

Good luck to here (and you). However, I read more and more about consumers
who are going out of their way to avoid US products... particularly in
places like Saudi-Arabia.

Scott A

Lawrence

OMGoodness--I agree with Scott A!

Yeah, instead of identifying the problematic issues that cause anti-US
sentiment, let's get a good PR campaign to 'spin' it.

I think that some of the anti-US sentiment is *un*justified, but there are
some legitimate beefs with US policy--environmental protection to name just
one.  Yes there are good initiatives going on in the States, as well as the
rest of the world, but I read time and time again how the US won't sign this
treaty, or won't sign that treaty--and it *looks* as if it ignores these
treaties so that it doesn't have to clean up it's own back yard, whilst it
tells the rest of the world how to run their back yards...

And being sometimes known as the US's kid brother, us up here in Canada are
not exempt from doing stupid things with our policies, either.

No one is without sin, but 'spinning' the issues is just going to make it worse.

Dave K