 Off-Topic / Debate / 17261
    Re: slight —Richard Marchetti
   (...) See? This is why I only skim your replies... Bruce is talking about a debate technique called an "emotional appeal" -- usually this takes the form of something that stirs the emotions of a reader or listener but that also tends to lack a (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: slight —Joseph Williams
     (...) This hominid-centric viewpoint that we are the sole custodians of emotions baffles me. Richard you do a great job at explaining the possible origins of them as have several others in this thread. (...) The albatross which is the oldest living (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: slight —Richard Marchetti
     (...) There is no such assertion being made by me. Human examples merely avoid the extra step of having to describe how one knows the experience of another species. I think I read "Ghost in the Machine" many, many years ago. A lot of the stuff that (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: slight —Joseph Williams
     (...) wasn't saying you were making that assertion, noting how you argued ~against~ it. that viewpoint is shared by many here and zillions over the globe that humans are the only ones with souls, as we once thought we were the center of the physical (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: slight —James Brown
   (...) Really? Do you have a convenient cite for this? I did some google searching, and only found 2nd or 3rd hand references of dubious quality. I have heard the 4-6 year thing before, but never from a particularly qualified source. It's also never (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: slight —David Koudys
     In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes: <snip> (...) Well, there's a movie called 'The 7 Year Itch'... ;) Dave K (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        4-6 year human mating cycle (was Re: slight) —Richard Marchetti
   (...) Yeah, I don't have ready access to any of my old cultural or physical anthropology standbys so all I can do is assert some stuff from memory. The linked theories here are those concerning "serial monogamy", "sperm wars", and "love as chemical (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)