 Off-Topic / Debate / 17331
17330  |  17332
Subject:
4-6 year human mating cycle (was Re: slight)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:36:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Really?  Do you have a convenient cite for this?  I did some google
searching, and only found 2nd or 3rd hand references of dubious quality.

Yeah, I don't have ready access to any of my old cultural or physical
anthropology standbys so all I can do is assert some stuff from memory.  The
linked theories here are those concerning "serial monogamy", "sperm wars",
and "love as chemical reactions in the brain".  The previous are not
properly quotes, I am just trying to visually set off the ideas that I see
as related to the topic.  Somewhere there is undoubtedly research on the
isolated question of the 4-6 year matuing cycle one always sees asserted and
referenced, but I don't know where it is.

The marriage thing can probably be researched with a phrase like "history of
marriage".  One must keep in mind that before the last couple of centuries
or so, and maybe less, people really didn't live that long. The idea of
having a silver anniversary or a golden anniversary was kind of a bad bet if
for no other reason than the average lifespan being shorter than it is now.
I would assert that a number of other factors affected people of the lower
classes and kept them from enjoying the kinds of marriages that might have
been available to the upper classes.  Other factors certainly came into play
even amongst the upper classes: "That's my last Duchess painted on the wall,
Looking as if she were alive..."  My bottom line assertions are that people
are pretty obviously serial monogomists, and when they are not there are
probably a host of economic and social reasons that they keep it together
one way or another; and as far as I can tell, marriage as we know it is not
even a worldwide practice -- other cultures have less structured practices.

Links:
http://www.cyberparent.com/love/chem1.htm (no cites whatever alas!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/love/index.shtml

-- Hop-Frog